Follow up … Genetics, I’m Lucky

I used to wonder what it was about me that I knew I’d be okay.  Happiness, even if elusive for the moment, was sure to return.  It’s as if I could not bear to live a life of unhappiness.  I’ve learned some of it is my genetics, but the other 40% is because I’ve just about mastered the habits of happy.

Martin Seligman, the father of positive psychology, theorizes that while 60 percent of happiness is determined by our genetics and environment, the remaining 40 percent is up to us. There is hope for those not genetically inclined.

The Habits Of Supremely Happy People

They surround themselves with other happy people. Dump the Debbie Downers and spend more time with uplifting people (my name is Debbie, but I’m not a downer!!).

They smile when they mean it. Fake smiling can worsen a mood.

They cultivate resilience. Happy people know how to bounce back from failure.

They try to be happy.  Yep — it’s as simple as it sounds: just trying to be happy can boost your emotional well-being.

They are mindful of the good. Happy people give attention to their small victories, too.

They appreciate simple pleasures. They appreciate the easy-to-come-by pleasures.

They devote some of their time to giving. They fill some of that time doing good for others.

They let themselves lose track of time. (And sometimes they can’t help it.) Happy people seek the sensation of getting “caught up” or “carried away.”

They nix the small talk for deeper conversation. “I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings,” is one of the top five regrets of the dying — spend less time talking about the weather and more time delving into what it is that makes their heart swell.

They spend money on other people. Spending money on other people has a more direct impact on happiness than spending money on oneself.

They make a point to listen. “When you listen you open up your ability to take in more knowledge versus blocking the world with your words or your distracting thoughts.”

They uphold in-person connections. There’s a deep need to have a sense of belonging that comes with having personal interactions.

They look on the bright side. Optimism touts plenty of health benefits, including longevity among those with heart disease.

They value a good mixtape. People who simply listened to music have the same decreased anxiety symptoms as those who got 10 hour-long massages.

They unplug. Partaking in some kind of a digital detox gives your brain the opportunity to recharge and recover.

They get spiritual. The experience of sacred time provides a time apart from the “profane time” that we live most of our lives in.

They make exercise a priority. Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy.” Plus, working out makes us appreciate our bodies more.

They go outside. Want to feel alive? Just a 20-minute dose of fresh air promotes a sense of vitality.

They spend some time on the pillow. When you’re running low on zzs, you’re prone to experience lack of clarity, bad moods and poor judgment.

They LOL. Laughing boosts a healthy immune system, controlled appetite and improved cholesterol.

They walk the walk. Ever notice your joyful friends have a certain spring in the step? It’s all about the stride (long strides while swinging your arms and holding your head high).

 Taken from :  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/16/happiness-habits-of-exuberant-human-beings_n_3909772.html
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s